Sun. Feb 28th, 2021

NIN: SIM Deactivation commences on Tuesday As FG Affirms Deadline

Spread the love
BY Victoria Ogunrinde

Network operators will on Tuesday commence the first round of disconnection of SIM cards that have not been incorporated to a valid National Identity Number.

Spokesperson to the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Uwa Suleiman affirm.

She said the available information on the ground reaffirms the government’s commitment not to renege on the deadline.

She said, “All the press statements, the media appearances of DG NIMC and the honourable minister’s comment is the latest information. You know that the deadline was extended. The first one for (subscribers who have NIN but have not linked it with their SIM card) is tomorrow.”

The Federal Government through the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami had in December 2020 directed network operators to disconnect SIM cards not linked with NIN by December 30.

But the government extended the deadline by three weeks to January 19, for subscribers who already have NIN.

For those who did not have NIN, the government shifted it by six weeks to February 9.

Based on the development, subscribers who already have NIN but have not linked it to their SIM would be disconnected.

Pantami had last week during an interview on Channels TV said the deadline was still effective.

But in a separate statement released by the NCC, Pantami assured that the Government would continue to review the exercise in the light of experiences to ensure its smooth implementation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.